Did you know that hundreds of Accidents occur every year?

Every year hundreds of lithium coin batteries are accidentally ingested, with more than half being swallowed by children under age 6*. As devices such as remotes, games, and key fobs get smaller, more lithium coin batteries are needed.

Left untreated, an ingested lithium coin battery can get stuck in the oesophagus causing a harmful chemical reaction which can become fatal in as little as two hours. If you believe your child swallowed a battery, visit the emergency room immediately.

*NBIH Biennial Report (Jul 2014 – Jun 2016), Washington DC

How can this be prevented?

Duracell’s latest innovation

Baby secure

technology

Duracell’s latest innovation

Baby secure

technology

The battery has a ring-shaped layer which has a bad taste to discourage swallowing from babies and toddlers. We are using Bitrex®, the bitterest substance in the world commonly used in household products to prevent ingestion. The bitter taste layer on the Duracell cell is non-toxic and completely harmless if consumed. Find out more on bitrex.com.

*Applied on 2032, 2025 and 2016 batteries. Those batteries have a diameter of 20mm, which is similar to the size of a child’s oesophagus. If swallowed, they are linked to major effects vs. smaller batteries.

The battery has a ring-shaped layer which has a bad taste to discourage swallowing from babies and toddlers. We are using Bitrex®, the bitterest substance in the world commonly used in household products to prevent ingestion. The bitter taste layer on the Duracell cell is non-toxic and completely harmless if consumed. Find out more on bitrex.com.

*Applied on 2032, 2025 and 2016 batteries. Those batteries have a diameter of 20mm, which is similar to the size of a child’s oesophagus. If swallowed, they are linked to major effects vs. smaller batteries.

More child safety features than the other leading brands

BABY SECURE TECHNOLOGY

A non-toxic bitter taste ring-shaped layer with Bitrex® applied on the back side of the cell to discourage swallowing from babies and toddlers.

TAMPER-PROOF PACKING

With double blister to avoid accidental opening – can only be opened with scissors.

ON- PACK WARNING

Keep away from the children.

ENGRAVED WARNING

On positive terminal.

SAFETY STICKER

Smart safety sticker: should be removed before inserted into devices and reminds parents to keep coin cells away from children.

How you can help

IDENTIFY DEVICES IN YOUR HOME

Devices, such as key-fobs, remote controls and kitchen scales, are getting smaller and more power hungry. That’s why more and more devices are powered by lithium coins. However, those batteries can be a hazard for small children.

Every year hundreds of children accidentally ingested lithium coin batteries. If swallowed, a lithium coin battery can get lodged in a child’s oesophagus and cause serious harm in as little as two hours.

Follow these 5 steps

F
Find out which devices in your home contain lithium coin batteries (specifically 2032, 2016 and 2025 sizes) and store those devices away and out of reach of children.
I
Inspect the devices for any that don't have screw on compartments and seal them with tape.
R
Remove expired batteries and place them away safely and out of reach of children until you can recycle them properly.
S
Select lithium coin products with safety features that reduce the risk of accidental ingestion, like the Duracell Child Safety Pack that can be only opened by an adult using a pair of scissors, or the Duracell bitter taste ring-shaped layer that can discourage swallowing form babies and toddlers.
T
Team up with friends and family to spread this information and keep children safe.

Other

Helpful Resources

Looking for more information and additional tips?

If your child swallows a battery, go to the emergency room.
If you have other questions or concerns, call +44 (0) 844 892 0111 or send an email to nirdic.nirdic@belfasttrust.hscni.net.