As battery ingestion by babies or toddlers is a serious topic, it is important to learn about the possible dangers to children posed by coin batteries. Ingestion may lead to serious injury or death, so steps should be taken to prevent children from accidentaly ingesting batteries.
Warning! Keep batteries away from children!
Always keep your batteries away from children to prevent swallowing. If ingestion does occur, however, be aware that initial symptoms may be similar to other childhood illnesses such as coughing, drooling and discomfort.
Be aware of common devices that use coin batteries
Coin batteries are commonly used in garage door openers, medical devices, watches, remote controls and greeting cards with sound. Do not leave these devices readily available and make sure children are supervised when in contact with them so that access to coin batteries can be prevented.
Naturally inquisitive, kids sometimes find batteries in devices and storage drawers. Be mindful of these places and take steps to childproof them. You can secure battery compartments in devices by sealing them with tools or tape, and limit the possibility of accidental ingestion by always storing your batteries out of reach of children. Practicing these tips will increase your children’s safety.
Practice these safety tips:
- Secure battery compartments with tools or tape
- Sealing devices with tape or tools will decrease the possibility of children gaining access to batteries.
- Store batteries out of reach of children
- A cupboard, drawer or locker inaccessible to your children is the best place to store your batteries.
- Learn more at: buttonbatterysafety.com
What Duracell Is Doing To Help
DESIGNED WITH CHILD-RESISTANT PACKAGING
A double blister around the battery prevents a child from opening the package without a scissor.
All our coin batteries have warning stickers to remind they can pose a threat to children if swallowed.
In case the sticker warning is missed, the same warning is engraved on the battery itself.